Wednesday, February 20, 2008

Any Suggestions?!?

Gretchen has decided to wake up in the night. She has been doing this for probably about 3 weeks or so. Her doctor told me that since she once slept through the night that I need to let her cry so that she will learn to fall back asleep. So I have given this a try a few times but she seems to wake up our whole house which then causes additional problems. Last night I woke up with her once and 2 hours later she was awake again. So I decided to get her after about 15-20 minutes. She fell right to sleep when I picked her up. She also woke up Easton in the process. I am not sure what to do. I don't know if she is cold, or just a crazy kid that likes to wake up her whole family in the middle of the night or what. I guess I could just get ear plugs for Chad, Easton, and I. Then she could cry all she wants. If you have any suggestions to help me out I would so appreciate it.

5 comments:

Clev Clan said...

It is a hard thing, let them cry it out or not wake everyone up. Is she teething? Hang in there.

Kyle and Melissa said...

Have you had her ears checked? my kids always woke up when they had ear infections..or maybe she is getting more teeth..have you tried giving her any medicine before she goes to bed?

Anonymous said...

I'm sorry!!! Growth spurt perhaps? Maybe she is hungry. Could you add an extra feeding during the day or right before bedtime? Maybe she is ready to drop a nap during the day. Children are such a mystery. They just get going on a good schedule and everyone adjusts then it changes again. They really should come with instruction manuals. How about a fan or some white noise in Easton's room to help him sleep through the noise? As has been suggested, maybe it's an ear infection. Or fluid in the ears--some decongestant could help that, perhaps. I don't know. I'm so clueless when it comes to mothering. Good luck! You have my sympathy.

Amy Eagleston said...

Charlie didn't sleep through the night until he was about 11 months. The kid had to eat around 2am so we did a "dream feed" before we went to bed. It was hard to ween him of that but he sleeps through the night most of the time now. I don't like the cry it out thing at this age. They just seem too little and it makes me nervous so I just get up or have Paul get up.

La said...

Sorry, I don't have any new ideas. Everyone already gave mine. Oh, except maybe put her to bed earlier? My kids always sleep better if they are in bed by 7:30.